Most of us know the challenges of finding enough space to store personal items in our homes. The quest to create spots to stash the personal belongings with which we cannot part is familiar and ongoing! We have ideas and solutions to share.
Creative. Clever. Practical. Quaint. Ideas abound. Here you go!
* Create storage with home furnishings! Build the ability to tuck things neatly into the enclosures of armoires and wardrobes, end tables with enclosures, coffee tables with hinged tops, ottomans and foot stools that double as container storage, and even corner cabinets. Add staircase style shelves that offer an open, staggered look to the room alongside fun and functional organizational options.
* In addition to your living room spaces, there are fun and clever ways to expand your storage options in the kitchen as well! Open concept kitchens may work well with functional features like rolling carts. Ceiling mount pot racks are both stylish and functional. You might also consider the idea of “kitchen rails” for wall mount options. Don’t forget the drawers! Drawer organizers help to keep your kitchen gadgets neat, tidy, accessible, and so much easier to find!
* Think as well about the layout and organization of your bedroom. You might want to explore the possibility of a platform-style bed or one with storage built into the headboard. Chests of drawers, traditional dressers, night stands, and other furniture and accessories will add to your organizational options even beyond the closet space built into your floor plan.
* Oft overlooked are entry area spaces! Mudroom bench seats near the entry foyer make excellent decorative features for coats and scarves, umbrellas and more. How about a coat rack?
* Bathrooms are great spaces into which storage can be added. You might place a mirrored medicine cabinet conveniently above the sink. Add towel keeper shelving above the commode or near the shower. Wire racks create open storage options, and come in a variety of sizes and designs. As you browse the possibilities in showrooms or online, you’ll quickly discover lots of possibilities! How about a shower caddy?
* Don’t forget your laundry room. Your laundry space may work for a storage shelf or cabinetry above the washer and dryer. Perhaps you have an open wall that will work well for open wire racks or enclosed hanging cabinets? As space allows, stow away cleaning supplies! You might even want to place a wall-mount ironing board.
* Add storage to vertical spaces like walls and doors. Imagine floating shelves, open shelves just below ceiling height, built-ins, and alcoves. Consider magazine racks mounted to the wall near your nightstand or reading chair. Think about the ways you might add hooks, hangers, and pantry style shelving systems to the backs of doors.
* Build storage into the spaces unique to your home’s floor plan. Perhaps a closet or drawers into the structure of a staircase? Dream on the idea of a unique built-in feature. You might enjoy the idea of a window seat with a hinged panel for access to a trunk style storage space or a cabinet style design. Add a walkway or “floor space” to your attic for access, and the expansion of storage capacity. Place shelves and cabinets in your garage. You might want a work table or peg board for tools. Consider storing bicycles with ceiling hangers.
* If your home has especially generous walk-in closets, or you have a spare bedroom conveniently placed for storage use, explore some of the fantastic ideas available for these spaces. Closet systems, mirrored accessory tables, shoe racks, islands with cabinet and drawer storage, and more.
* Some floor plans include modest exterior storage closets often located adjacent to a patio area. These areas can be left open or finished with organizers. They make great spots for everything from brooms and buckets to garden tools.
Additional thoughts to help as you enhance your home storage…
If you’re making plans to remodel your home, consider the ways in which you might add design elements that add to your storage options. Thoughtfully considered, these features will add to your current comfort, and be part of your home’s market appeal when you’re ready to move from your current home, and into the next one.
As you’re considering what you’ll store and where, take into account the best storage environments for your belongings. Do you need to control the storage space for temperature or humidity? If you have anything that needs special security (or restricted access), take this into account as well.
Be sure you’re developing safe storage options. Consider the safety of children, pets, and members of the household with special needs. Avoid tripping hazards or overcrowding. Preserve points of entry and egress for convenience and comfort, but also in the event of emergency.
Home storage as part of a transition from your current home to the next one…
If you’re in the process of a move, consider temporary storage in a secured facility with affordable climate controlled units. This is a great way to remove clutter in preparation for marketing your current home while also cleaning and organizing for the move into your next home. When the home you’re selling goes to contract, and the time clock is ticking, the work you’ve completed in preparation should prove to minimize and relieve stress that can come with transition.
CONDOATLANTA.com Connects with Social Media
Follow us on Facebook: https://facebook.com/condoatlanta
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/condoatlanta
Follow us on usa.life: https://usa.life/condoatlanta
Follow us on minds.com: https://minds.com/condoatlanta
Follow us on mix.com: https://mix.com/condoatlanta
Follow us on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/condoatlanta
Add My Community at CONDOATLANTA.com
If we haven’t yet added your community to our photo gallery, let us know. ADD MY COMMUNITY
We also love to hear about plans for capital improvement projects, community remodeling and updates, and investment in amenities. CONTACT US
The Newsreel at CONDOATLANTA.com
Browse the articles posted at the CONDOATLANTA.com Newsreel. You’ll find posts with news of CONDOATLANTA site updates, helpful homeowner reminders, home maintenance tips, market updates, design trends, remodeling ideas, and more.
Atlanta and it’s suburbs are growing and dynamic, each with its own charisma and character. From historic charm to modern design concepts, the marketplace of homes in Greater Atlanta has so much to offer. We’re here to help you develop search ideas from size and style to preferences for community amenities, and home location. There is a home just right for everyone. Let’s find just the right place for you to call your own!
CONDOATLANTA Community Coverage and Photo Gallery Links
Check back often. In addition to expanding our community coverage, we are also developing resources to support the home search process. You’ll find updated photos, descriptions, interactive map links, information about area attractions and amenities, and much more.
Ready, Set, Go! Call on Us for Your Coming Home Search
Andy & Ann Marie Liakos
CastleAire Real Estate
404-939-5820 direct & text messaging
Georgia Firm License #H-39177